Cassie

New computer

Post by Cassie »

TIL that ethernet cables wear out.
Eggs Loki
Site Admin

New computer

Post by Eggs Loki »

It takes a long time tho (unless they get pinched/frayed, then yeah)
Cassie

New computer

Post by Cassie »

O M G :rwmad:

All this time I thought I had a shitty modem (I mean, it's probably a bit shit) but apparently to save power Windows has been shutting it down. How much power does the ethernet adapter even use? "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." I guess it was doing the same thing on my old computer and I never even bothered to Google it. I just blamed the modem!

Wait, wtf is "magic packet"? lol
Eggs Loki
Site Admin

New computer

Post by Eggs Loki »

That's just weird. I know there are power setting options you can choose from that turn certain things on or off, but that shouln't be one of them.

That kind of option is for 1995 when people needed phone lines for their modems...
Mirah

New computer

Post by Mirah »

Did you get a new modem AND computer?
Cassie

New computer

Post by Cassie »

I got a new modem a few months ago, my ISP offered a higher speed for the same price, but you have to have the higher speed modem. My old modem was about 7 years old and didn't work properly. It's just a centurylink modem, nothing fancy. As soon as I got the new modem I started losing internet connection almost every day, and every time I restarted the modem the connection came back, so I thought it was a defective modem.

Apparently this is a problem that goes all the way back to 2018, at least. You would think windows would have figured out a solution to it by now. I mean, if something turns off to save power it should wake up when you wake up the computer. IMO!