Penny Dreadful

TV, film, print, theater/performing arts, and that mime in the park
Cassie

Re: Penny Dreadful

Post by Cassie »

Even though she wasn't in it AT ALL :rage: I still thought it was a good episode. It was good to finally find out what Ethan's problem is. Still don't know how he became a wolf. Maybe it was an Apache curse.
CaptainWacky

Post by CaptainWacky »

The sex scene wasn't fuck-up enough.
Cassie

Post by Cassie »

CAPTAINWACKY! Did you know there is a Penny Dreadful comic books series? http://www.comicbookresources.com/artic ... march-more
CaptainWacky

Post by CaptainWacky »

NO. I DIDN'T.

But tv tie-in comics sometimes aren't good...
CaptainWacky

Post by CaptainWacky »

The dinner scene was tense! Poor Hecate. She only wanted to bring about the end of days.

The fencing lady was hot. I hope she's in it more.

Sir Lyle's gone to Cairo? Will he come back with a mummy?
Cassie

Post by Cassie »

I guess the hot fencing lady was the new ally the preview thingy was talking about. Yeah, she needs to stay around.

VANESSA STOP SLEEPING WITH THE DEMONS, GOSH!

Maybe since Sir Lyle went to Cairo, they'll all go to Cairo next season! That would be cool.
CaptainWacky

Post by CaptainWacky »

It's really because the actor who plays Lyle is busy doing stage work, but maybe they can work something out for next season.
Cassie

Post by Cassie »

VANESSA NOOOOOO!!!! How are they gonna get the vampire out of her? :rwmad:

Fuck, Dorian just acted like a big baby about Lily's hooker army. Does he really want her to be all nice and sweet? HOW BORING WOULD THAT BE?
CaptainWacky

Post by CaptainWacky »

She's only a vampire if she drinks his blood!

It was an interesting parralel how Dorian and Victor want to change Lily into a proper lady whereas Dracula wants to let Vanessa be who she truly is. But they're all fucked up abusers!

At least John Clare got to be happy.
Cassie

Post by Cassie »

I hope they let John be happy for a long time. DON'T TAKE HIS HAPPY AWAY JERKS :rwmad:
Eggs Loki
Site Admin

Post by Eggs Loki »

Was Dorian naked during any of this? I NEED UPDATES!
Cassie

Post by Cassie »

No, sadly he had his clothes on the whole time. Also he was a pouty jerkface.
Cassie

Post by Cassie »

OMG THIS IS A TRAVESTY :rwmad:

I'm glad Victor decided not to turn Lily into a zombie.

THEY BETTER BE TRICKING US ABOUT VANESSA.
Cassie

Post by Cassie »

[video]

OH, I just found out that was the end of the series. WTF? There are more stories to tell! We just got cute new character Catriona! And Lily could still rise up with a hooker army. And John Clare is still sad :(
Eggs Loki
Site Admin

Post by Eggs Loki »

Definitely unique for a TV show to keep it a secret that it's ending. Usually the industry news sites are all over things like that months in advance.
CaptainWacky

Post by CaptainWacky »

Vanessa Ives. :(

I don't mind it having a sad ending. I mean it was called Penny Dreadful, not Penny HAPPY ENDING WHERE ALL THE TUMBLR SHIPS LIVE FOREVER. But if the plan all along was to have Vanessa give in to the darkness then I wish they would have given us more Dark Vanessa this season. She was barely in the last two episodes at all.

They still had a lot of great moments. Billie Piper got to act again! John Clare's story was appropriately heartbreaking. I loved that Sir Malcolm and Cat just instantly started flirting as soon as they met.

But I would have loved more episodes or a spin-off where Cat goes to Egypt to help Sir Lyle.

(John Logan answers all the obvious questions in this interview: http://tvline.com/2016/06/20/penny-drea ... interview/)
The Tomtrek

Post by The Tomtrek »

I'm actually surprised they knew it was going to be the final season from the start because all the plot resolutions in this episode felt really rushed.

Lily spends the whole season building up her whore army... only for Dorian to just tell them all to go away.
Victor spends the whole season trying to find a way to get Lily back... only to just let her go away.
John Clare spend the whole season trying to get back with his family... only to get kicked out as soon as he gets back.

And for Vanessa's arc to just end with "she just wasn't strong enough so they had to kill her" was really disappointing after spending three seasons getting invested in the character.
CaptainWacky

Post by CaptainWacky »

Maybe choosing to die WAS HER REAL STRENGTH.
The Tomtrek

Post by The Tomtrek »

According to John Logan:

"What I find remarkable about the ending is that she gets what she wants, which is to die and go to Heaven and be with God. That’s a shocking message for 2016, to tell that story, but that’s what it is. It’s about a woman who believes in something deeply, and is willing to sacrifice her life to attain it."
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/penny-d ... 201798946/

Which is kind of fucked up because he's basically saying that she committed suicide but that it's good to commit suicide???
CaptainWacky

Post by CaptainWacky »

Things were different back then!